Computer SOS

Where the shampoo hits the fan...
n00b Geek

Computer SOS

Post by The Last Mohican »

oik I sent an email to jeremy but im not sure if he'll be using the school account this summer so i will send out an SOS here. I am in biiig trouble. It started this morning. I woke up and my computer had been in standby mode all night. Like most nights. I click and it starts up. But the screen is black and says no signal, I check the monitor cables and restart. She runs fine. Until I try using it again. It once again goes black from standby mode. So I quit using stand by. Well while using it it freezes up completed. the screen wont alt-ctrl-del or anything. So I restart. It does the same again in about 15 min. So I try playing a game. Runs fine. Until about 15 or 20 min in when it freezes up again. I heard a clicking noice coming from my power supply fan as if something were barely clipping the fan. While I am listening. the screen goes black and says no signal. At the same moment the clicking stops. Also I notice that the num, cap, scroll lock lights wont come on on my keyboard. Also, my optical mouse stops lighting up. I am freakin out. Thge only thing thats changed in the last few days is a flat panel monitor I put on which i got for graduation. I dont think that is the prob though...

That is basically what I sent to Jeremy about 20 min ago. Now I found some new developments since then.

1. I noticed that when the case was bumped or tapped lightly the screen went black, mouse and keyboard go dead. So i thought it was maybe a loose wire. I opened it up and double checked every connection to find nothing wrong.

2. The mouse is still getting power from the motherboard. I discovered that the bright light that comes on under the mouse when you click still works. But the dimmer light that usually runs when the mouse is idle is not running.

3. its gotten worse... now i am having trouble even getting it to start period. It will run my mobo screen then start windows but within about 5 min it goes black or restarts or freezes up. Possibly a virus? But that doesnt explain the fan noises, or the power outage to the mouse, keyboard, monitor. Or how jolting the case lightly causes trouble.

4. One last tid bit. thinking that maybe i was overclocked too much. I have backed down my 3 ghz pentium 4 from 3.45 to its original 3.00 and that seems to have only worseened the problem. When i did this is when the time between fu-k ups became 5 min instead of 15.

Im lost. Anyone have any clue what is wrong?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????///
Yeah, I know...

Post by thefordmccord »

I sent you an e-mail. I'm sure it is the cheapo power supply causing your problems. Never ues the cheap ass PSU that comes with the case. Why would you trust $1000 worth of hardware to a $10 box of shampoo? Hopfully it didn't kill everything else when it died... Antec and Enermax only for me. Just leave it unplugged and bring it to me as soon as you can. I'll send you another e-mail with my cell number.
McDesktop: X5670 [email protected]~NZXT X61~ASUS Sabertooth X58~24gb Kingston HyperX 1866~EVGA GTX 970~NZXT HALEv2 1000w PSU~Crucial M500 960GB~2X2TB WD Green~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~3X 27" IPS Displays
Limp Geek

Post by 08aisaac »

thefordmccord wrote:I sent you an e-mail. I'm sure it is the cheapo power supply causing your problems. Never ues the cheap ass PSU that comes with the case. Why would you trust $1000 worth of hardware to a $10 box of shampoo? Hopfully it didn't kill everything else when it died... Antec and Enermax only for me. Just leave it unplugged and bring it to me as soon as you can. I'll send you another e-mail with my cell number.

Speaking of power supply's, that is the one thing that I don't know much about and if anyone has any suggestions for me I would appreciate it.