Computer Build

Where the shampoo hits the fan...
I am really Shadow

Computer Build

Post by Myth »

My Dad wants to build himself a good, fast computer for under $1100. He wants it for mainly for everything but gaming. I've already picked him out a pretty good XION case. Anybody have any ideals for intel mobos, pent. 4's, and etc.
Cattle Prod The Oyster Ditch With The Lap Rocket

Jesus Saves, Moses Invests, Noah Spends
Derek = Durka?

Post by DJ_007 »

dude if its not gonna be doing any gaming... hmm. u dont have to worry bout video.. do a pentium D... the slowest one.. i say for really good multitasking in like audio and wt not.... i dunno... wt all u want.. its pretty broad the possibilites for less than 1100 for somthing that isnt going ot be gaming....
AMD X6 1075T @3.8
8 gig Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600
Sapphire AMD HD6950 2gig
Turtle Beach DPX21 Optical headset
3 Seagate 500gig
1 Western Digital "WHITE LABEL" 1 TB
Yeah, I know...

Post by thefordmccord »

For the basic internet surfer/picture taker, a HT enable chip is overkill. There is no need for a dual core machine. Just build a cheap box with a Celeron D in it. If I get a chance, I'll work out a parts list.
McDesktop: X5670 [email protected]~NZXT X61~ASUS Sabertooth X58~24gb Kingston HyperX 1866~EVGA GTX 970~NZXT HALEv2 1000w PSU~Crucial M500 960GB~2X2TB WD Green~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~3X 27" IPS Displays
n00b Geek

Post by The_Last_Mohican »

In my opinion if he's just wanting to do stuff like office computing and internet and nothing else like gaming and movies then you'd prolly be better off just buying a cheap dell desktop. Look here: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/product ... l=en&s=dhs Get one with a flat panel for like $400 or less, which means ur actually paying like $200 for the PC and then the other half is for the monitor. It's hard to beat that when buying even mediocre parts off newegg to build a comparable system. Really building is only cost effective if your gonna put on the bells and whistles on for gaming, home theatre, media, ya know, all the fun stuff. My sister's boyfriend wanted me to build him a cheapy for office stuff and after looking around and comparing prices I just recommended the same for him because I wouldn't be saving him anything by building one. That just my 2 cents though.
Yeah, I know...

Post by thefordmccord »

The_Last_Mohican wrote:In my opinion if he's just wanting to do stuff like office computing and internet and nothing else like gaming and movies then you'd prolly be better off just buying a cheap dell desktop. Look here: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/product ... l=en&s=dhs Get one with a flat panel for like $400 or less, which means ur actually paying like $200 for the PC and then the other half is for the monitor. It's hard to beat that when buying even mediocre parts off newegg to build a comparable system. Really building is only cost effective if your gonna put on the bells and whistles on for gaming, home theatre, media, ya know, all the fun stuff. My sister's boyfriend wanted me to build him a cheapy for office stuff and after looking around and comparing prices I just recommended the same for him because I wouldn't be saving him anything by building one. That just my 2 cents though.

The only thing that sucks about buying a Dell is the fact that he may want to build it himself.
McDesktop: X5670 [email protected]~NZXT X61~ASUS Sabertooth X58~24gb Kingston HyperX 1866~EVGA GTX 970~NZXT HALEv2 1000w PSU~Crucial M500 960GB~2X2TB WD Green~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~3X 27" IPS Displays
I am really Shadow

Post by Myth »

Thats the problem. he wants to go all out and he wants to build it himself, and i've tried talking him out of it.

Derek = Durka?

Post by DJ_007 »

yeah i did a build for someone a few weeks ago its on here... u can check it out... it was like $450 wiht a monitor and it was really sweet... 80gig HDD... cele D @2.5 ... Abit IG80 mobo... 512mg ram ... and i used a kinda cheap case and used the PSU in it and it is working fine... it was really quick too i really like the Cele D processors.. i also OC it to 3.0 with no temp changes and ver very stable
AMD X6 1075T @3.8
Sapphire AMD HD6950 2gig
3 Seagate 500gig
Riced out like a Honda

Post by andrewrice07 »

has your dad ever put together a computer before??
Don't Be Sexist - Bitches Hate That
I am really Shadow

Post by Myth »

andrewrice07 wrote:has your dad ever put together a computer before??
he's actually put together quite a few but this was back about five or six years ago.

Limp Geek

Post by 08aisaac »

lol. Celeron D. yep 2.8 here.
For $1,100 you might as well make a decent gaming rig. He says he doesn't want to game, right. But he might change his mind. My dad didn't like video games, till we got out PS2, now he loves them. So maybe you could just make that option available to him.

Hmm, that'd be nice, I only spent $450 on mine, and it's decent. Lacking in some parts though. Sad.
Riced out like a Honda

Post by andrewrice07 »

like a video card...?
Limp Geek

Post by 08aisaac »

Yeah, and a case, well, cardboard box. lol. And a real optical drive, this 4X really isn't cutting it. lol.
Riced out like a Honda

Post by andrewrice07 »

08aisaac wrote:Yeah, and a case, well, cardboard box. lol. And a real optical drive, this 4X really isn't cutting it. lol.
thats pretty much sad....
Derek = Durka?

Post by DJ_007 »

andrewrice07 wrote:like a video card...?
theres more to a gaming rig than just a video card.. myself i would have less than 2 gig of ram for the newer games coming out.. oblibion is really RAM intensive and people wiht 2 gig are running it much smoother... also a raptor drive is a nice touch to finninsh off a gaming rig with some kick ass loading times!!
AMD X6 1075T @3.8
Sapphire AMD HD6950 2gig
3 Seagate 500gig
Riced out like a Honda

Post by andrewrice07 »

this is coming from the man who has 2 7800GTX 's in his case..