American culture

Shampoo and more Shampoo
antique farm machinery sold here

Post by nighthawk101 »

Lexon Avery wrote:I’m with art on this one to a point the papers title is the melting pot that will not blend but it sounds more like your ideas on speaking English in the US. (its still Very good lol)
That might have been what I focused on more... if so, my mistake. Language is, however, one of the most important facets of culture.
Lexon Avery wrote:I think you tend to forget that the main birth of this county was in search for a better way of life
Yes, that was the founding point of our country. However, we are now a viable and independent nation. We are self sustaining and do not need millions of immigrants a year to build a country.
Lexon Avery wrote:the point that u are forgetting may just be cause of the idea on what culture is. I think culture Is the way a group can unit under a idea (good of bad)

Culture to me is things like language, religion, ethnicity/race, common heritage etc.
Lexon Avery wrote:the reason the euro growth in colonial times accrued was under a united way of thinking “A better life” everything a colonialist felt in his heart and in his mind was for the greater good of his life(and/or family’s). Back then it was HARD to immigrate to the US.
It was for opportunity but it wasnt all european just because they united under the idea. I think it was more because it was simply possible. Minus China, non-european countries were not technologically advanced or united enough for the travel necessary
Lexon Avery wrote:all countries in Europe basically speak there own language for “a better life” after the long journey across an Ocean in a sorry ass wood ship packed full (for the most part) they got here and they all began to speak English after a while.
Yes.. individual European countries speak their own languages... but what point are you trying to make?
Lexon Avery wrote: And as for what holidays are traditional or not, and you say Memorial Day and Presidents Day, what is Martin Luther King Day…? And Black history month…?
MLK day and BHM do no represent the values of the majority... so I purposely excluded them. Those holidays represent 12% of the population.
Lexon Avery wrote:Can those define American culture; does Presidents Day define who we are or what we are…? Is what we are our Culture…? Or is it what thou use’s to connect himself with others unitarily??

I think it defines the respect we give to our leaders
Lexon Avery wrote: P.S. I still very much like the paper ****
P.P.S. How far in to Bennett’s book did you get when u wrote this (i hope not page 5)…??
It was not a book, it was an article. It was a few pages long.
Im not being agressive, im being dominant
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

nighthawk101 wrote:
Lexon Avery wrote:Can those define American culture; does Presidents Day define who we are or what we are…? Is what we are our Culture…? Or is it what thou use’s to connect himself with others unitarily??

I think it defines the respect we give to our leaders.
Nothing shows respect more to our leaders on President's day than hundreds of retail stores offering huge discounts on linens, towels, and mattresses, or a federally endorsed day off from work or school.

President's day is a recent holiday added to our calendar... officially observed as a national holiday beginning in 1971 after President Nixon signed it into being.

One of the longest standing traditions is the running of the Indianapolis 500, which has been held in conjuction with the Memorial Day weekend holiday since 1911. :?

Post by nighthawk101 »

Every holiday we have has stores with discounts.... EVERY one. Whats your point? However, Presidents day was two seperate days - Lincoln and Washington's birthday. It was just combined into one.

MLK day is an even more recent holiday yet you asked why I ommitted that one.
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

nighthawk101 wrote:Every holiday we have has stores with discounts.... EVERY one. Whats your point? However, Presidents day was two seperate days - Lincoln and Washington's birthday. It was just combined into one.

MLK day is an even more recent holiday yet you asked why I ommitted that one.
I didn't ask why you omitted it.... Lexon did...

You just mentioned that President's day is a holiday that shows respect. I don't think it really does other than a day off from work/school or going to buy something at a store. As a holiday, it's barely noticed but it probably shouldn't be. No one I know of commemorates the day in any meaningful, or patriotic capacity other than to stay home and goof off or go shopping. I think it's weird that President's day is the only holiday that retailers push their household goods at discounts. What do towels and sheets have to do with Presidents?? (maybe it has something to do with "Washington slept here"....)

Post by nighthawk101 »

Im pretty sure that all holidays have stores of all kinds having sales
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

nighthawk101 wrote:
Europe has been overtaken by multiculturalism as well... its just that they are closer to the arabs than we are. They problems we are having with mexicans is the same problem they have with arabs.
I don't think its just a matter of simple geography that Europe is being overrun with Muslims. It is a deliberate process.. Muslim leaders and clerics have said outright on numerous occasions they are planning to dominate Europe in the future. It's a matter of time before it happens here, unless immigration has much tighter restrictions.

Read this article to see the level of decay at work here at home.. It's frightening; but it's probably more widespread that even this.

http://www.thetrumpet.com/index.php?pag ... le&id=2121

Mexicans are not the same as Muslims. No Mexicans are strapping on explosives and blowing themselves up for the sake of killing Americans. They aren't getting into planes and plowing them into skyscrapers or targeting federal buildings. They aren't enrolling in terrorist training camps. Mexicans aren't beheading innocent Americans and videotaping it for the world to see. When they start doing that, then I'll change my opinion.
They are just pouring over the border to take advantage of the easy system here and the government has been complacent enough to let it continue.

Post by nighthawk101 »

Mexicans would be invading Europe and Arabs would be invading America, if geography permitted.

Correct, mexicans arent blowing themselves up, but they are dead set about recreating "Atzlan" and taking over a large part of our country. Mexican leaders have said outright that they are overly excited that America is becoming a more "brown" country.

The situations are the same... immigration restrictions must be put into place and enforced.

Post by nighthawk101 »

If we are going to get on that subject... why is it that Arabs are so dead set on killing Americans? I'll listen to your comment before I give my theory.
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

The lure of 72 virgins?

Some of the hostility on the surface, I think, comes from their being fed up with western culture and how they are tired it being forced on them. They don't want democracy, Christianity, or anything else our culture has to offer.

As for the bigger picture, Muslims want to prepare the way for a religious revolution. Everyone knows that he Koran even endorses the killing of infidels (anyone not Muslim) so that the righteous martyr will gain a place in heaven. Iran's president Ahmadinejad believes he is in touch with the 12th (hidden) Imam, who is supposed to return within two years. He believes he's setting things in motion to bring about the reign of the Mahdi, (the muslim equivalent of Christ). He's just crazy enough to use nukes to make this happen. Non-Islamic countries not supporting his view point (Israel/United States) will become likely targets so he can achieve his goal.

http://www.washtimes.com/commentary/200 ... -6320r.htm

For those who haven't heard of this, read the above article.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Tue May 23, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nighthawk101 »

Why target Americans then? Why not blow yourself up over someone closer to home... like Shi'ite vs Sunni?
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

nighthawk101 wrote:Why target Americans then? Why not blow yourself up over someone closer to home... like Shi'ite vs Sunni?
America supports Israel. I think I know where you are going with this.
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

nighthawk101 wrote:Why target Americans then? Why not blow yourself up over someone closer to home... like Shi'ite vs Sunni?
Shi'ites and Sunnis are still Muslims...just different branches of the same faith.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Tue May 23, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by nighthawk101 »

Good work.... That is the #1 reason that America is targeted above all other countries. This has been stated numerous times by many muslims, including Bin Laden in several of his tapes.

It is our unqualified support of Israel that leads to arab hatred.
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

Do you think if America stopped supporting Israel, they would like us again and we would live peacefully with them?

Why do you think America supports Israel?
Lite Geek

Post by Art Vandelay »

Man, did this get off topic.

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.